Saturday 7 April 2012

Two Oceans



It was wet, but I am now an ultra-runner!
The idea of doing theTwo Oceans came up about a year ago, but I debated (or dithered) long and hard before committing - the day after Amsterdam Marathon.
The appeal of a holiday in South Africa was obvious, not least given the family involvement on Lisa's side, but also to come and run 'the world's most beautiful marathon' (even if it is 56k) had an appeal.

We flew into Cape Town just over a week ago, and have enjoyed taking in the sights, relaxing and tapering since then. We were staying in Hout Bay initially, which was great, not least because it is about 38k into the course, nestled between the two big climbs of Chapmans Peak and Constantia Nek. Not only did I wake each morning to see Chappies and think about running it, but also ran up there a couple of times, and Constantia Nek once. We then moved up to Newlands to be closer to the start.

The start was early morning - 6:25, so I was up at 4:30 for breakfast, and given the number of runners staying in the guesthouse they even arranged a lift to the start area. Most were doing the half, two of us the ultra - Gavin doing his fourth as training for his fifth comrades, me my first. The number of races completed is taken quite seriously here - we each had race numbers on our fronts and backs, and the numbers also showed how many Two Oceans races you had done previously - once you have done 10 you get awarded a permanent number.

Starting in the dark was interesting, not least because the race is televised, so some parts were well lit, but most of it pitch dark. The tapes between the pens disappeared early, before I was in the pens unfortunately so I started well back. The start line itself was incredibly wide so it really did feel like a mass start (there were over 9,000 entrants). I started well back in the crowd, after everyone had pushed forward so early so the first couple of miles were very slow - I was also trying to resist the temptation to weave too much so took it steady. I suddenly found myself fighting back the emotions, I think both the challenge ahead and the distance I had come both caught up with me.

As we worked our way through the outer suburbs of Cape Town in the pre-dawn light, it did occur that the race might not count as quite so beautiful if we could actually see this bit! That said, the sun found a gap in the cloud cover as it rose, lighting the mountain ahead of us and it was a stunning view - I did wish I had a camera at that point. I also noticed the a rainbow off to our right hand side, and that was a clear sign of things to come and the rain started within minutes.


A bit of drizzle came in for a while, helping to cool me off, as it was warm enough given the time in the morning. By the time there was actually a bend in the road (following a 8 mile long starting straight) it was lashing it down. The first and last sights of the Indian Ocean - and every other sight of it - was in the pouring rain- hard to believe we had been roasting on the beach there two days before. Running wise I had settled into a good rhythm, miles were passing at about 8:30 pace and I was feeling quite comfortable, trying to keep it calm and relaxed. Water stops were frequent and well stocked and I had worked out how to get into the plastic pouches without soaking myself. I was also less concerned about the wet foot I had given myself earlier stepping on one of these pouches as I was wet through anyway.

I had been looking forward to running through Fish Hoek - it is at the 21k mark where we turn away from the Indian Ocean, and from watching the you tube videos, well supported. The reality, like so much else today was wetter,with a few hardy souls making some noise whilst sheltering from the rain.

Powerade pouches were now available as well as water, so the sports drinks wee going down well. 25k was the first cut off mark, which spooked me a bit despite going through nearly an hour ahead of the cut off time. The bus was there to pick up those that did not. By this time the pace had crept up and miles were passing quite comfortably at 8:0X pace - I was telling myself to slow down, but not really listening!

The rain eased slightly at the start of the climb up chapmans peak, but then came back with a vengeance as I came out of the half tunnels. That aid station will stick in my mind for some time, with 'Love Shack' blasting out as we ran through. I managed the climb up chappies with a couple of walk breaks and was feeling tired bit comfortable on the way down. The knowledge that an ex-colleague and his family were waiting to cheer me through Hout Bay was a great motivation to keep moving, as the rain poured down. It was great seeing Ian and having people cheer specifically for me!

Once past the marathon mark, passed in just under 4 hours, the climb up Constantia Nek started. With many around me I ran-walked up, and got into counting steps as I reached the top. Made it up and over, and on towards the finish. I was feeling pretty much spent by this time, so focused on keeping moving. Having given up in the 5 hour target fairly early on, my focus was on beating 5:30, and was not too fussed about any times between the two - an interesting lesson in motivation.

With about 5km to go, the rain finally eased off, and the camber in the road eased - the angles had been interesting since Constantia. Keeping moving was now the only thing to do, the slightest incline seemed to knock me off the stride. As we turned on to the main road, 3km to go, a short hill seemed like a mountain! This was just after passing the end of the road where we were staying, which was also tough - yes legs, I know there is a bath and bed for you just over there, now keep moving!

As we came of the main road, for the last few hundred metres, Lisa was waiting with James and Matthew - both making loads of noise with the vuvuzelas they had acquired - we were is South Africa after all! They gave me the final boost I needed - James ran alongside for a bit and it was great to see him there. Down a bit of a slope and we were into the University of Cape Town grounds. I knew the finish was at the sports ground, but then realised it was on the rugby pitch. A rugby pitch that had had several hours or rain, 16,000 half marathon runners and a few thousand ultra runners on it before I got there. It was a mud bath! A tight right hand turn was followed by a tight left, and somehow I kept my footing. Under the footbridge and the another 50m to go. The only thought then in my mind was whether I could dive for the finish line and aqua plane across! Cross the mat and I was finished - the immediate feeling was relief, shortly followed by stomach cramps!

I was confused, generally by this stage, that the finish line itself was not better marked. You could just about make the timing mats, and the clock was propped to one side on a trestle before you passed through a marquee where they handed out the medals. It was only the following day, going round Cape Town Aquarium that I got chatting to the race's IT chief, and found out what had happened. 5 minutes before the winner was due, the finishing gantry, clocks, cables balloons and all, had succumbed to the weather. They just managed to clear enough of the line for the first few guys to get across!

It was a great race, and an incredible event. The rain was certainly exceptional (according to several that have raced before) and whether it was harder or easier than the heat is debatable - it didn't do much for the views! The other question is whether I would do it again. That is easy - its a yes. Whether I will do it again depends on factors such as budget, time and the number of other races and activities that I (we) want to do, but I certainly would do it again given the opportunity.

I have to thank Lisa and my family for putting up with the training time, and I suspect I also need to apologise to my mother for the worry caused.



































































Location:Almond St,Cape Town,South Africa

No comments:

Post a Comment