Tuesday 24 April 2012

London for Fun

I had promised myself that I would run London Marathon to enjoy it, rather than chasing a time. Following the Two Oceans, that was going to be about all I was capable of, hence my entry this year, with thanks to Zurich Community Trust for providing the space, and all of my sponsors for supporting it.
I had a sports massage on the afternoon of the Two Oceans and took 3 days off running. I then ran ever other day, doing 10 miles on the Sunday between the two races, 7 (5 speedy) on the Tuesday and then winding down.
The Expo started building the excitement, but I stayed reasonably relaxed. Just as well - arriving at the station for the 0645, the greeting from one of my club mates was 'should you really be doing this?'
People headed off to their different start zones from London Bridge, so Jillian and I headed up to the red zone (charity places) with Lisa and Sarah in support. The weather was perfect and buzz beginning to build. I met up with about half of the Zurich team before the start, and everyone seemed on good form - some serious runners this year.
So into the pen, and ready for the start. All a bit more civilised than the Two Oceans - not quite so much of a melting pot, and daylight made it less bewildering. Having set off, I was just in front of the 3:30 pace group, so tucked over to let them through - I was here to enjoy it, and did not want to be running with them for long. A quick loo stop after a mile or so, and then into my running. There was good support - the guy with the riding horn always makes me smile, although the normally lively pub just down from there is closed unfortunately. Woolwich into Greenwich the noise and crowds really picked up, and started feeling oppressive - I focused on turning that pressure into positive motivation, reminding myself that enjoyment and making the most of the atmosphere was the aim. The mobile bell tower remains another landmark.
Cutty Sark another great landmark and then head down to Surrey Quays, and the first supporters looking out for me specifically. As part of my pacing I took gels every 4-5 miles, and was walking to take them, to mix up the routine. Without the garmin ( on purpose) pacing was very much on feel.
High 5's for Lisa, Liz and AJ and then on through Bermondsey and towards Tower Bridge. Going over Tower Bridge was great - the crowds and noise really peak here as you swing right onto the Highway, but I was sneaking a few walking breaks by now - here to enjoy it! The Highway is also great to see the elites heading back into the city - only 8 miles ahead of me by this time - those guys shift!
Contrary to reputation there is some great support around docklands these days. Lisa and I managed to miss each other just past Westferry, but I saw Catherine just past the (also closed) City Pride. A quick stop at the Runners World aid station - saying hi to Karen rather than just running past and I was up to the cauldron of Canary Wharf - the noise through there is incredible - Lisa was doing her best to add to it. Going under the 18 mile banner I saw I had an hour and 20 to finish within 4 hours. Now, whilst I was here to enjoy myself, maintaining my sub 4 record was suddenly within reach, and therefore tempting.
We started to pick up some breeze coming off the Isle of Dogs which was welcome - the day had been warming up, but never got too hot. So, onward back down the highway and into the city - fairly regular walk breaks, and a lot of debate with myself over how bothered I was by four hours - just about enough as it happened. Somehow I missed the Arrows (running club) supporters - not sure how, but saw Clare on the Embankment.
Turning right into Parliament Square, I was looking out for Lisa when both calves suddenly cramped up - they had been threatening, but they meant it this time. A quick stretch and then focussing on getting moving meant that I had run straight past Lisa. On into Birdcage Walk, and I witnessed another of those scenes that will stay with me for some time - for far more tragic reasons. There was a large group of police and paramedics, with one administering chest compressions in the middle. I suspect that the patient was Claire Squires, and I can but hope she rests in piece.
After that shock, the finish came up quickly. You can only actually see the finish line for the last 200 metres or so, but it is an incredible sight. Done, dusted and finished. The clock ticked over 4 hours as I approached, but given the time taken crossing th start line, my official finish time was 3:58:16. I collected my bits and pieces, and headed up to the Charing Cross Hotel for the Marie Curie reception. Lots of supporters were heading towards the finish, but despite the state I was in, and medal round my neck, clearly not one of them realised I had just run a marathon and might not be able to get out of their way too quickly! Thanks guys!
The shower, massage, food and drink at the reception were truly welcome, as was the quick pint before we got on the train home. My parents had been great in looking after the boys again (thank you!) - we picked up the boys and headed for the pub, to meet up with the running club.
All in all a great day. I remain torn on London. The crowds in the race and supporting it are incredible. I don't know how many people called out my name in the course of the day, but it was a huge number. There are still times when it feels too much though - sensory overload is no understatement. I went into this thinking it would be my last London for a while - we'll see.
stra
-
- Posted using BlogPress

No comments:

Post a Comment